- ARPDAUPosted 4 years ago
- What’s an impressive conversion rate? And other stats updatesPosted 4 years ago
- Your quick guide to metricsPosted 5 years ago
Apple reveals iPhone 3.0: lots for game developers to cheer
At a packed press conference today, Apple revealed its new OS, due out in the summer. Alongside some basic additions (cut and paste, search), there are a bunch of key features likely to be of substantial interest to game developers:
- Microtransactions, allowing downloadable content within an App (I argued how necessary this was on PocketGamer.biz earlier in the month)
- Auto-discovery, allowing multiplayer games on nearby iPhones via Bluetooth
- Voice chat in games
There were some useful statistics too:
- Over 800 million downloads
- Over 25,000 apps
- 98% of apps are approved within 7 days
- 96% of apps were approved in February
And EA was there, announcing that the Sims 3 is coming to iPhone and iPod Touch, with in-app microtransactions offering additional content for $0.99. (Thanks to AppGamer for the lead).
Thanks to the FT’s Chris Nuttall and others for their contributions to the Twitterstream.